Show your Love on National Jelly Bean Day
Transform the simplist sponge into the ultimate Jelly Belly bean summer cake
Celebrate lNational Jelly Bean Day with a delicious afternoon teas made special with this butter sponge cake decorated with delicious Jelly Belly jelly beans of your choice.
For the Cake
340g / 12oz butter – very soft340g / 12oz caster sugar6 large eggs340g / 12oz self raising flour – sifted2 tsp baking powder3 tbs milk
- Grease tin, cut a circle of baking parchment to fit the bottom of the tin.
- Preheat the oven to GM4, 350F, 180C.
- Place the softened butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs in one by one, gently beating. If the mixture curdles add a spoon of flour, then the remainder of the eggs.
- Fold in the flour, milk and baking powder.
- When combined pour into the prepared tin.
- Bake for about 40 – 50 mins until risen and golden. (Check after 40 minutes and cover with foil if it is browning too much.) Check it is done by poking a cocktail stick into the cake, when cooked the stick will come out clean, and the top of the cake will spring back when lightly pressed.
- Remove from the oven. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
For the Buttercream
250g / 9oz butter – softened500g / 18oz icing sugar3 tbs milkBeat the butter well, slowly add the icing sugar and beat well until creamy and smooth. Add enough milk to loosen the mixture so it is spreadable.
Once the cake is cool use a bread knife to cut the top off to make it level. If you want to, slice the cake in half and sandwich together with jam (pipe a line of buttercream between around the edge of the bottom slice then fill the centre with the jam to prevent the jam oozing out).
Use a blob of buttercream to stick the cake to a board or serving plate. Use a pallet knife to coat the cake with a thin layer of buttercream. Put the cake in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to chill. Apply a second thicker layer of buttercream. Then apply the Jelly Belly beans.
Deliciously provided by Helen Best-Shaw, fuss Free Flavours